Saturday, September 21, 2013

Our Daily Ocean: Day 200

This is a true story.  I almost bailed on International Coastal Cleanup Day.  It's not an inspiring truth, but it's the truth nonetheless.  As volunteers were cleaning Wrightsville Beach this morning, I was contemplating my going to the beach.  It was raining and there was a triathlon going on.  And I wasn't feeling like braving either, so I gave myself a pass.  Then synchronicity happened.  I ended up talking to a friend and through our conversation I remembered why I should go to the beach.  Some friends are just so amazing that they help us see things clearly without even trying ;) 
So my 3 kids and I went to do our 200th 20 minute beach cleanup at Wrightsville Beach on Coastal Cleanup Day, on the last day of summer.  Admittedly, I'm a little sad to see summer go... but I'm feeling like the change of seasons is the perfect time to seize the opportunity for change.  Transition into creating a goal for myself.
Last year, I made the decision to continue this beach clean up project all the way to 365 non-consecutive beach cleanups.  With this being my 200th... I have 165 more to go!  I've been thinking about when I'd like to have the project completed... and as my friend and I were talking about this today and doing some math... look out now! ... I've decided to put it out there that I am going to refocus my energy and am setting a goal to complete my 365th beach cleanup on August 9, 2014.
I realize this goal means that I'm going to have to hit the beach more regularly (like 3-4 times a week) and honestly I don't even know how possible that will always be.  But.... one thing that I do know is that I will never know if I don't try.  FILDI
20 minutes at Access 16 on September 21, 2013
Litter by weight: 6 oz
Cigarette butts: 57
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 200 days: 
55,825

No comments:

Post a Comment